Visual Analytics and Dashboard Design (Excel)
Creating actionable information and insights
- 2 dagen
- Datum en locatie
- 7, 8 oktober 2019 - Amsterdam
- 09:30 - 17:30, 09:30 - 17:30
- € 995,00 (leden) / € 1.195,00 (niet-leden)
- Performance Management, Finance Operations & Reporting
- Bestemd voor
- Accountants in business, Overheidsaccountants, Overige financieel professionals, Controllers, Auditor
The course is in English, the Excel parts are based on the English version of Excel. Day one will cover requirements, advanced visual techniques, dashboard design and storytelling with data - you do not need to bring a laptop. Day two will include some hands on work with Excel and you should bring your own laptop running Excel 2007 or later.
Hotel arrangement excluded
RC's receive a discount of 200 euros to the non-member price
Finance professionals are dealing with increasing amounts of data and a growing demand for analytics to provide fresh insights and greater clarity for decision making. This course teaches participants how to create and use advanced visual techniques to generate new insights, support better analysis and enable clearer decision making with better reports and 'one page/ one screen' dashboards.
In addition to its role in improving 'traditional' descriptive analytics, this course will also introduce data visualisation as part of Exploratory Data Analysis (EDA) within advanced data analytics/ data science.
Participants successfully completing the optional post course project in dashboard design will be awarded an internationally recognised Certificate of Competency issued by the Institute of Business Analytics.
You will learn to:
- Use a proven process to clearly identify the information users need to take action and make key decisions.
- Understand key aspects of human memory and visual processing that affect good and bad visual design for reports and dashboards and how to apply these principles;
- Apply advanced visual techniques to: identify and focus on priorities, make choices, explore data, generate insights, rapidly assess performance, tell stories and make connections with data.
- Identify the potential for information rich dashboards, how to design them to provide actionable information, what data to include/ use as supporting analysis and how to structure them to tell stories with the data.
The course is conducted in a highly participative workshop style, with practical group discussion and break-out sessions. It comprises the following key topics:
- Pre-course learning - understanding the challenges of current reporting and information and what needs to be improved
- Analytics and the future of finance
- A process for producing actionable information
- The role of visualisation in descriptive and advanced analytics
- Visual techniques for understanding, focus, insights and exploration - key mistakes in use of common techniques and advanced visual tools and where and how to use them
- Effective dashboard design and telling stories with data, combining key techniques to tell a story on a page
- Introducing dashboards and visual reporting/ EDA into your organisation
- Showcase of past participants dashboard designs implemented at workplace
- Optional post course project to apply the ideas learnt to build a dashboard for the participant's organisation. Successful completion will earn a certificate of competency in Visual Analytics and Dashboard design
Once the principles of design, structure and data storytelling are understood, then theses can be applied using any suitable software. For participants who want to use or prototype designs in Excel using advanced visual techniques not included as standard Excel charts, the course will cover about 2 hours hands on to practice creating these charts. The companion course i3BAR is recommended for participants who want to add automation and build robust, reliable and interactive dashboards and reports.
Related courses : The companion course 'Integrated, interactive & intelligent Excel models for Business Analytics & Reporting (i3BAR)' provides a best practice methodology for automating routine reporting and model updating as part of robust, reliable interactive reports and simulation. Where i2VSA covers what reports/ analysis to produce to provide actionable information and insights using advanced visual techniques, i3BAR teaches how to build them. Excel training in i2VSA focuses on how to create the advanced visual techniques covered in the course for those participants who will be using Excel rather than other web/ software based analytics tools.
This course is for accounting, finance and other business professionals who want to:
- Prepare more effective, actionable information through better visual reports and dashboards.
- Identify fresh insights and patterns in data and understand the role of this work in wider data analytics and data science.
- Understand what can/ should be done in terms of better information and analysis in order to plan and adapt for the changing role of the finance function.